Saturday, 17 November 2007

The Bitches are Back!



Oh boy! I just found out that the authors of Skinny Bitch have a cookbook coming out in a few weeks! I have preordered in at Amazon and can't wait to get it. I was browsing for an image of the cover of Skinny Bitch because today's blog entry is about my plan for December. Serendipity!

Having read that the lovely Jari Love is the same height as me, two years older and has had two kids, I was gratified to also learn that she is only 13 pounds lighter than me. This has steeled my resolve to kick this plateau/maintenance phase that I've been in for the last year. I'd like to lose 10 pounds by next April and be a similar weight to Jari Love. Just look at her:



I didn't realize I was so close to her weight. I can't be that close and not go for it, can I? So I have been looking around trying to decide on which food philosophy to try. Eat to Live? I've read it. It's vegan and low fat, but I am not a raw fooditarian and couldn't stomach so much salad. McDougall's Maximum Weight Loss? I haven't read it but I know I've read something by McDougall. It's vegan, too, and heavier on complex carbohydrates, which I love, but can I really go so low fat? Is it something I can live with? Not sure.

Then I remembered I've got Skinny Bitch on the shelf and there's a month's worth of daily menus in the back! So I'm going to follow those. (To be honest, most of that stuff is what we already eat, it's just the breakfasts are a little better balanced and of course having something set will help take the pressure off.) I've made out shopping lists for weeks one and two, and when I've finished those, it will be about time to get the new cookbook and then I can make things out of that! Perfect timing!

So I'm starting on Monday 3rd December with a target of 10 pounds gone by 1st April. My December rotation features two Jari Love workouts per week and I'm calling it 'We Wish You a Jari Christmas.' (The basic pattern is a Ripped workout-kundalini yoga-cardio-Ripped workout-kundalini yoga-AWT-kundalini yoga). I will post both my menus and my rotations closer to the time.

Today I did TLT Strength in Movement in the AM, and this afternoon I'm going to do Rodney Yee's Power Yoga Total Body. DH has gone to see his parents, so I've got a pot of soup on the stove and my workouts to keep me busy.

Here's what's in the soup:

Kale and Bean Soup with Garlic

1 large onion, minced
1 leek, minced
1 carrot, finely diced
1 package of chopped kale
15-20 whole cloves of garlic, skinned (basically, one head of garlic cleaned)
2 cans of cannellini beans, or whatever large white beans you have on hand
vegan bouillon
marmite
salt and pepper

Water saute the onion, carrot and leek. Add the garlic cloves. Add the kale, reduce heat and simmer with lid on until the kale is quite limp. Pour in plenty of water. Add vegan bouillon to taste, salt and pepper. Simmer on very low heat for 2 or 3 hours, until the kale is soft and tender like spinach. (Kale is a tough leaf, so this takes a very long time). Add marmite to taste to make the stock richer. Salt and pepper and serve. (Don't worry about the garlic, it goes soft and mellow and looks like one of the beans until you mash it around in your mouth and think, whoa, that's garlic!)

This soup has no added fat and no grain, so you can eat bowl after bowl with virtually no consequences. (Which is a good thing, because we ate a bag and half of doritos last night in the form of vegan nachos! Doh!)

Edited to add: Jari Love's been featured in The New York Times! And I also found a cute article about Cathe Friedrich. Click to read:

The Fonda Factor

Hard Corps: A Weekend of Workouts

May all beings be at ease.

No comments: