Tuesday, 22 January 2008

Phase One Report


It's the end of Phase One of the No Diet Diet. I scored 16. The book says I have to do one more extra activity before I can move on, so I've chosen Food: Try something you've never eaten before. I've decided to try to make my own bean loaf. I searched online for a bean loaf recipe and found this fantastic site which I'm going to add to my useful sites list on this blog: The Magical Mystery Loaf Studio. You just choose from the list of basic ingredients and like magic the proper amounts are given to make a loaf. There is a disclaimer that not all ingredients might go together for a tasty loaf, but I'm more interested in getting the amounts of liquid and binder right, as I'm pretty sure I know enough about flavours to avoid making a nasty mess. I am going to make an adzuki bean and polenta loaf tonight. (That's because I have adzuki beans and polenta on hand...)

Here's the loaf recipe that the Magical Mystery Loaf Studio generated for me:

Adzuki Bean and Polenta Loaf
1/2 cup peanuts (I don't have peanuts right now so will sub some peanut butter)
2 TB peanut oil (which I will probably reduce and sub some bean cooking liquid for)
One large garlic clove, minced
One large carrot, peeled and grated
2 cups cooked black beans
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 to 1/2 cup liquid from cooked or canned beans, as needed
1/2 cup uncooked polenta
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
2 TB nutritional yeast flakes
2 TB ketchup
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tsp. vegan bouillon powder

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350º. Spray a loaf pan or 8x8 square baking pan with nonstick spray and set aside (an 8x8 pan makes a crisper loaf).

Grind the peanuts into a coarse meal using a food processor or spice/coffee grinder. Place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.

Sauté any vegetables you've chosen in the olive oil until soft. Add to the large mixing bowl along with all the remaining ingredients. Mix and mash together well, adding only as much liquid as needed to create a soft, moist loaf that holds together and is not runny (you may not need to add any liquid if the grains and protein are very moist). Add more binder/carbohydrate as needed if the loaf seems too wet.

Press mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until cooked through.

Let the loaf cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes, then turn out onto a plate or platter and slice. Serve with potatoes, vegetables, and vegetarian gravy, if desired.

Cold leftover slices of make a great sandwich filling.


I will give a report on the results after we try it!

The bad news is I did not lose one pound during Phase One, as the book says I was guaranteed to do. I knew that was going to happen though, as I said earlier, my eating did not change during Phase One. Actually, I don't need to lose a pound, to be honest. I am within my ideal weight. But I'm not at the low end of ideal, which is where I want to be. So maybe it's people who are overweight who are going to see a loss during Phase One. I'm sure distracting yourself even a little will help you cut down on the Doritos and beer. But I don't really have a problem with Doritos and beer, nor do I have a problem with getting my butt moving or even trying new things (within reason).

Anyway, on to Phase Two!

4 comments:

Morandia said...

Hmmm... I'm not sure about the bean loaf. It sounds... interesting. Love the *yea veggies* info. I'm slowly trying to go more in that direction. Not ready to go vegetarian yet, but cutting back on meat and adding more veggies and grain at least. I've got to get a copy of that book!!!!

Carla said...

The bean loaf was delicious! I used the ketchup as a glaze instead of mixing it in with the loaf, and I added some Nando's peri peri sauce to the mix to give it some kick. Derek loved it. We had leftovers for lunch. I served it with potato and cauliflower mash. Yum!

Morandia said...

so basically, this is the vegan equalivant of meatloaf? What do the yeast flakes add? Ketchup I understand.

Derek said...

This was fantastic, luv! I really enjoyed noshing it down....especially as it lasted long enough to take leftovers for lunch today. woohooo!

Oh, and the yeast flakes add a savoury flavour. Look up 'umami':
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami