Monday, 18 February 2008

What's for dinner tonight?

So here's what we're having for dinner tonight. It is a typical meal for us.

Wholemeal Couscous with Carrot and Onion
1 large white onion, peeled and minced very fine
about 5 carrots, peel and chopped into very fine dice
2-3 Tbs good olive oil
1 cup wholemeal (wheat or barley) couscous
2 cups water
1 Tbs vegan bouillon powder (we use Swiss Marigold)

Mix the onion with the olive oil in a cold saucepan. Bring the mixture up to a mild heat. Cook the onions on this slow heat until they go limp and smell sweet. Let them continue to cook for a while. They should NOT be browning, but may start to go pale gold as the sugar in the onion caramelizes. Add the carrot, stir, pop a lid on the pot and let it cook for 10-15 minutes. Check and stir,replace lid. Keep checking until the carrots have gone soft. Could take as long as 30 minutes. Add the couscous and water, turn the heat up high, cover the pot and bring to boil. Turn off heat and let the couscous stand to absorb liquid completely. Set aside.

Braised Cabbage
1 small head mild flavoured cabbage (tonight it was pointed cabbage)
Core the cabbage and cut in quarters or eighths. Slice each up into quarter-inch wide ribbons. Pack the cabbage into a saucepan. Put just a bit of water in the bottom of the pot. Cook over low heat, checking often, until cabbage is done. Season with salt and pepper.

Fake Chicken Fillet
We like the ASDA Meat Free Chicken-style Fillet for an occasional treat. Ingredients: Rehydrated soy protein (56%), Rehydrated wheat protein (32%), vegetable oil, methyl cellulose (stabilizer), potato starch, yeast extract, cane juice, salt, garlic powder, pea fibre, carrot fibre, onion powder, beet fibre. 25g protein, 154 calories, 5.5g fat (of which saturates 0.6g)

(In case you're curious--and I was--I looked up methyl cellulose. Here's what I learned:

Methylcellulose (or methyl cellulose) is a chemical compound derived from cellulose. It is a hydrophilic white powder in pure form and dissolves in cold (but not in hot) water, forming a clear viscous solution or gel. It is sold under a variety of trade names and is used as a thickener and emulsifier in various food and cosmetic products, and also as a treatment of constipation. Like cellulose, it is not digestible, not toxic, and not allergenic.

Methyl cellulose is sold under the brand name Citrucel.

So basically, it's a food bulker and also a remedy for constipation. Right!)


To go over all, gravy made from Bisto chicken-style gravy granules. (Not vegan as it contains egg and milk powder, but as I've said many times, I do eat traces--TRACES-of animal products.) I always use the cooking liquid from our vegetables to make the gravy with. That way we don't pour any nutrients down the drain. So tonight the cabbage water goes into the gravy granules.

Derek and I eat a meal pretty much like this every night. A whole grain, a few vegetables, a protein source. (The protein source rarely involves a fake meat that incorporates a synthetic laxative, I hasten to add! It almost always involves soy, wheat or bean in some way, though.)

Would anyone be interested in regular posts about what we eat? Believe me, it's simple food, it's quick, and it's kept me at 134 lbs for a while! So there must be something good about it.

May all beings be at ease.

4 comments:

Derek said...

hey luv, I enjoyed your yummy food as usual tonight!! Thanks so much. I owe my healthy eating to you -- I hate cooking but love to wash-up! :)

I think you should post your recipes up more often, either here, or set up another blogger to cover them!

*hugs*
x

Fat-Free Vegan said...

You know I'd love to hear what you're eating! And please, share the recipes whenever possible, I'd love those, too. :)

I wonder if that fake chicken stuff is similar to the vegan roast that I used in my Vegan Lo Mein!

Anna

Morandia said...

I love the "what I eat" posts! It gives me some interesting ideas! and although this is going to sound really stupid - there are different kinds of cabbage?????? I know the kind I use for cole slaw, and the ornamental kind, which you don't eat. Hmmmm.....

Carla said...

Morandia, there are loads of different cabbages. We regularly have white cabbage, green cabbage, savoy cabbage, and pointed cabbage, because that's what the supermarkets carry. Sometimes we have red cabbage, but that and the savoy are strong flavours and I prefer a mild cabbage, personally. That's why I don't much like Brussels sprouts. I will eat the baby ones, steamed. We also eat spring greens, kale, and of course spinach! Green leafy veggies are so important!