Wednesday, 23 April 2008

Cardio Dance Fusion


I'll start this review by saying that I did this workout for the first time at 6.30 this morning, so I don't recall much of it in very great detail!

This workout is touted as an intermediate workout, and I think that is an apt description. It's a cardio workout with some dancy moves rather than a dance routine that gives you a workout, and for that I am grateful. I am not a dancer, was not on the drillteam in high school, and barely managed to pass American square and round dancing to earn one of my two requisite PE credits in university. (For the other credit, I chose archery.) So to say I am not graceful is an understatement. Fortunately for me, this workout only mildly resembles dance, and could be intimidating only to beginning exercisers or people who do Body Pump style workouts exclusively.

I don't know why I keep buying these Transfirmation era Firm workouts. I haven't really liked any Firm workout since the BSS4 series. I guess it's misguided loyalty to the force that started me on my fitness journey. I have just found the last several Firm workouts to be lackluster and a bit on the boring side. Some of them are abysmally cued, although thankfully Alison is the lead on this one, and she is very, very good at cueing.

The workout consists of a warmup, a 'club' segment, a 'Latin' segment, a 'Jive' segment, a rather long cooldown/plie segment and some stretches. All together it's just shy of 45 minutes. I suppose out of all of them, the plie segment was my favourite. It made me feel a bit like a beginning dance student doing stretches and moves in practice. I also enjoyed the Jive segment because I could actually follow the steps fairly well and we spent a lot of time in the air so my heart rate got up. I have never liked Latin dance moves as I am completely uncoordinated and don't enjoy all that hip grinding cha cha cha type stuff. Plus my heart rate fell during that segment, so I felt as if I had not used 10 minutes of my workout time to the utmost. I need to be burning off cookies and bread during my workout, not standing in the floor taking little mincing cha cha cha steps with my elbows out. But someone who never exercises would certainly have got their heart rate up doing that, and it is an intermediate workout.

Don't get me wrong, I did work up a sweat, and I do intend to do the workout again, probably. But it's going to be something I only grab when I don't feel like working hard or I can't face the Club Step.

Bottom line: If you like real dance, this might disappoint. If you want to workout really hard, this will definitely disappoint. But if you want a middle-of-the-road cardio that doesn't use the step or require much of you (no dips or lunges for example), then you might want to give this one a try.

2 comments:

Fat-Free Vegan said...

You must have an awesome workout video library by now -- where do you keep them all I'm finding mine take up too much space stacked between the speaker and the TV cabinet in the living room, but my DVD shelves are full and I don't know where else to keep them so they're handy! Tomorrow I aim to add a video workout back into my regular walks and ease back in to doing some of those again.

Duffy said...

Hunting for useful sources that can help you to learn dance online is really time-consuming. However, if you are getting tired of searching for such resources over the internet, visit the website http://www.learn-dance-online.com and go through dance directories.