Wednesday, 9 April 2008

Coffee and cases


I ordered Teeccino online the other day because of my new issues with palpitations. (By the way, they haven't recurred since I decided to give coffee and chocolate a miss. If they come back, I will go to the quack, promise!)

I bought the Teeccino in three flavours: Java, Mocha, and Vanilla Nut. The main ingredient in this 'herbal coffee' is roasted carob, followed by barley, chicory, almonds, dates, figs, and depending on the flavour, various other natural ingredients. The product is brewed exactly the same as real coffee, so you don't have to miss out on the pleasure of the brewing process. I love using a coffee press, so am pleased that I get to continue my tradition. The resulting brew is wonderfully dark black and aromatic. It is caffeine free and serving contains 65mg of potassium, 2g of fibre and 335mg of something called 'inulin'. I looked it up to confirm the claims on the label: It's a substance that occurs naturally in chicory root (and other things, but this herbal coffee mixture doesn't contain other sources). It is thought to boost gut and colonic health, help the body absorb calcium, and may also aid in absorption of iron from plant foods. Nice side effect, then.

But how does it taste? So far I have only tried the Java and the Vanilla Nut. The Java has a slightly bitter edge, mildly reminiscent of that bitter stuff in the middle of a pecan. There are other subtle flavours involved, but the distinctive sour taste of the chicory is fairly heavy. The Vanilla Nut, for me, goes down much better. The ingredients listed differ only by the addition of natural vanilla extract, but I think perhaps the other ingredients have been mixed in different proportions. When I drank the Java, I was not very much reminded of coffee. It was trying too hard to do a coffee impersonation, somehow, which made me search for coffee-ness and not find it. (That's my theory anyway). When I took my first sip of Vanilla Nut, I was pleasantly surprised to find that somehow it did taste something like coffee, albeit coffee with 'other stuff' in it (like a flavoured coffee). Maybe it was because my palate was distracted by the pleasant sweetness of the vanilla. I think they put more fig in this mixture as well. It has a lovely floral aroma and is very good. I will order more Vanilla Nut. Can't wait to try the Mocha!

The only drawback is the cost. I don't know why when people import things to this country they merely change the dollar sign to a pound sign. That means I end up paying twice as much for the same product, as the exchange rate is nearly $2.00 to £1.00. So Americans pay $5.95 for a can of this, I paid £5.95. In essence, $12.00 for a can. I should be used to this by now, but the injustice of it! I don't buy the notion that it costs importers a lot to bring it in. Tough! Give me a mark up of £1.00, fine, but why double the cost every single time! Argh. But the fact remains, if I want the product I have to pay for it. That's all there is to it.

On another note, I spent a happy two hours last night transferring my workout DVDs from their standard 14mm wide cases into 7mm superslim cases. This involved trimming about 1/8 inch from each end of the jacket to insert under the clear plastic part, but I did this while watching Battlestar Galactica. My workouts went from taking up one and half shelves to 3/4 of a single shelf--more room to buy more workouts! Huzzah!

May all beings be at ease.

2 comments:

Morandia said...

you can get that stuff in the US? I've never heard of it... I thought it was a British thing. Hmmmm... I'll pass the name along to my friend who can't drink coffee due to the caffeine. They seem to have quit making Postum or whatever that substitute was called.

Carla said...

I hadn't heard of it either until I searched online for a decent coffee substitute.

Another one praised is something called Bambu, and I have seen good things said about products called Cafix and Pero. So I will have to get my hands on those as well.