Friday, 23 May 2008

Oh boy

I have a job interview next Wednesday! I only just handed in my application on Tuesday of this week, got invited to interview yesterday! I guess internal appointments are different. This is a secondment. If successful, I would be a Schools Library Service Adviser. In essence, I would provide support, advice and training to schools to help them improve their school library and their students' information literacy. The secondment will be 6-12 months as Schools Library Service undergoes restructuring. What would happen after that I don't know, but this would be my first actual librarian post (rather than admin staff) and it would give me the opportunity to charter, so that in future I would have more of a chance of securing posts that require a qualified librarian. I don't have any librarianship qualifications, but there are lots of people working as librarians who don't actually hold a degree in librarianship, and hopefully I am going to become one of them.

I have to prepare a presentation of no more than 10 minutes on this topic:

"The synergies of Schools Library Service and Public Libraries in developing information literacy across the curriculum."


To all my librarian friends, if you know of any online sources that might be helpful in working on this, please tell me now!

(Flower remedy practitioners, advice on mixtures for the event also greatly appreciated).

And please wish me luck.

May all beings be at ease.

4 comments:

Morandia said...

http://www.ala.org/ala/acrl/acrlissues/acrlinfolit/informationliteracy.cfm
http://www.libraryinstruction.com/info-lit.html
http://www.informationliteracy.org/

those are a few information literacy pages.... as to synergies, Hmmm... I know it helps for librarians to know what is going on in the school system - to know and understand assignments so they can provide information that the student may not have access to at school.... I'm a university librarian, so we don't deal much with public or school libraries. Sorry....

good luck!

Carla said...

Thanks, but all these websites are American. I have read loads and will read loads more and I'll have something put together for Wednesday. If I don't get the job, so be it. If I do, whooppee!

Fat-Free Vegan said...

Carla, I'm sending good wishes your way -- good luck with the job!

Mark said...

Good luck for the interview and with the presentation. I am sure you will do well.