Monday, 5 May 2008

Who lost my bread?


PAIN PERDU a la VEGAN


I made up this recipe today based on the recipe for 'Fronch' Toast from the book 'Vegan with a Vengeance'. I used the ingredients listed below because they were on hand. The only ingredients that actually seem key to the success of this recipe are the rice milk, cornstarch (aka corn flour) and the chickpea flour (aka 'besan'). Thus the credit goes to Isa Chandra Moskowitz for discovering that combination. Why the chickpea flour ends up making the stuff taste like eggs I don't know (and according to her book, neither does she), but it really works unbelievably well.

To make my version, you will need:

wholemeal baps
hazelnut and almond flavoured rice milk
plain unsweetened soy milk
cornstarch
chickpea flour
organic cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil
pure maple syrup

Mix together the following (it will probably by slightly lumpy):

300ml of hazelnut and almond flavoured rice milk (or vanilla flavoured would be good)
75-100 ml plain soy milk
2 well-rounded tablespoons cornstarch
4 well-rounded tablespoons chickpea flour

Slice 5 wholemeal baps into halves while heating a nonstick pan. Put an even tablespoon of coconut oil in the pan to coat. Dip the bread slices into the mixture, gently squeezing out the excess before arranging the slices in the pan. (I could only fit 5 slices into my pan at a time, so I did this in two batches). Cook as you would for any french toast recipe, over medium heat until browned. You can flip them as many times as you like. Serve with a drizzle of pure maple syrup.

I ended up eating four slices and DH had six. This would have been good with bananas, but we didn't need to guild the lily as we were stuffed.

Next time I make this, I am going to slit a pocket into each slice and put a touch of strawberry jam inside before dipping and cooking. That sounds good!

4 comments:

Derek said...

I thoroughly enjoyed eating this for a change -- it was really tasty! :) I guess we can make it for a future guest!

Morandia said...

that sounds rather yummy... except the soy milk... but that's just me...

Fat-Free Vegan said...

That looks and sounds really yum! And I do have a lot of chickpea flour on hand anyway as I use it to make my vegan Italian sausages. I have only one question ... what on earth is a bap?

Carla said...

Sorry, Anna! 'Bap' is a pommy term for bread roll or bun. (It's also a nickname for boobs, but then there are a million and one nicknames for those in this mammary-obsessed nation!)