Thursday, 17 July 2008

Push up Challenge Begins!

One Hundred Pushups

I completed my initial test and was able to do 16 good form on-toes pushups before wanting to sink to the knees and/or start cheating.

So now I embark on week one. I'm to do pushups every other day using this program:

Day One (today)
10 push ups
rest 60 seconds
10 push ups
rest 60 seconds
8 push ups
rest 60 seconds
6 push ups
rest 60 seconds
as many as I can do (at least 7 though)

Day Two (Saturday)
12 pushups
rest 90 seconds
12 pushups
rest 90
10 pushups
rest 90
10 pushups
rest 90
as many as I can do, shooting for 10

Day Three (Monday)
15 pushups
rest 120 seconds
13 pushups
rest 120
10 pushups
rest 120
10 pushups
rest 120
as many as I can, shooting for 15

This looks like a really ambitious plan. Fortunately, you don't have to do all of them on your toes. I will start out doing as many as I can on toes, then complete the set in the modified style.

Actually, I'm kind of excited about this! Three of my fitness dream goals have been to be able to do 50 pushups without stopping, to be able to do a backbend and to be able to do the splits. Maybe this challenge will get me closer to the pushup goal. (The other two I don't know if I will ever learn to achieve, at least not without a real yoga teacher).

Edited to add: Just completed the Day One push ups, and did 8 for that final challenge. So onward and upward on Saturday!

2 comments:

Morandia said...

what about pull-ups? That's another one that's a pretty standard goal.

Oh... and from my side, your on your own on this one.. hehe... I can do girl pushups, but standard ones??? nope. Not me!!! Good luck and consider me a cheerleader!

Carla said...

I don't have anything I can pull up on, so haven't bothered with that one. I lack the upper body strength, as well.