Sunday, 31 August 2008

A little driving and a lot of tofu

Today I did Amy Bento's Advanced Step Challenge, then drove us to ASDA to buy some under-the-bed storage boxes for Derek and to Sainsbury's for miso and some fruit. There's a roundabout in the ASDA parking lot (who knows why). I was making a left turn to leave the parking lot, and was shocked to see people from the other side of the roundabout cutting straight across it to the turning I was trying to make, rather going around it. (For my American pals, you enter a roundabout and go clockwise, yielding to traffic approaching from your right. I was yielding to traffic that should have been approaching from my right, but who were instead driving directly across the roundabout and cutting me off!) I waited for them all to pass, then made a careful left turn, like a good little learner driver. Some idiot came zooming across the roundabout as I was in mid-turn, cutting it entirely, and got right up behind me. I didn't look at him but Derek said he looked royally pissed off. Why I don't know. He was the one breaking the laws of the road! I drove around to Sainsbury's (executing a couple of very dodgy hill starts, I might add) and we got the miso and drove the rest of the way home without incident.

I wore my hearing aids 11.30-2.30 and put them back on around 4.30. I'm still wearing them and it's now 7.30. Today they haven't hurt the inside of my ears. Maybe I'm getting used to them being in there, or maybe I'm getting better at inserting them and not putting them at too weird an angle. While I was cooking lunch, I even forgot they were in.

Speaking of lunch, we played with the Japanese dishes again and I made miso-marinated grilled tofu, root vegetables braised in dashi (sweet potato, swede, daikon and potato), and a peanut-sauce stir-fry of celery, yellow pepper, daikon and bean sprouts. We had this with brown rice and shredded nori, followed by green tea.

I strained the liquid from the root vegetable dish and reserved it for the base for a broth, so for dinner we had kitsune udon with carrot, onion and shiitake mushrooms. Lovely stuff! Okay, so we had tofu twice in one day, but they are so different it wasn't really that noticeable.

5 comments:

Morandia said...

ok.... how do you make miso-marinated grilled tofu? That sounds delicious!!!

Morandia said...

and on a similar note - do you grill it on the stove with a grilling pan? or do you have a bbq grill setup?

Carla said...

I grill it in the oven. It is simplicity itself. All I did was cut a block of very firm tofu in half, then cut those in half horizontally to make 4 slices. I mixed a couple of tablespoons of red miso paste with some tamari soy sauce and a bit of oil to thin it down, rubbed it all over the tofu and placed it on a baking sheet. I sprinkled it with black sesame seeds and grilled until grilled! I then sliced the bits to serve and served with a dipping sauce on the side made of a mixture of soy sauce, mirin, chili oil and dashi. (I did this because we ate it Japanese style with chopsticks and the dipping sauce in a tiny dish on the side).

Morandia said...

do you use the tofu out of the package? or do you do the drain/freeze thing first?

Carla said...

This time I used it right out of the package. But you can press the tofu by placing between two plates and putting a can of something on top and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour, pouring off the liquid now and then. I wouldn't freeze it because that changes the texture is really only useful if you're going to make tofu mince.