Saturday, 16 August 2008

So far Soy good














I am always on the lookout for plant-based health and nutrition information, and for the last couple of years, I've been feeling some unease about soy because of some of the claims I've read about the possible harmful effects of eating a lot of it. For vegans, tofu and other soy products can become a large part of the diet. We eat tofu around twice a week, but we do tend to have some sort of soy product every single day, even if it's only a splash of soy milk in cereal. In addition to all the health benefits that soy products are purported to have, I have also read that soy can increase the chances of breast cancer, lead to dementia in later life, and block absorption of minerals, amongst other things. This hasn't stopped me eating soy, but it's made me wonder and worry a bit, and buy different types of non-dairy beverages on a rotational basis (oat milk, rice milk, soy milk, almond milk, etc).

Even with the assurances of my food hero, John Robbins, I have still paused and wondered if I should limit the amount of soy in our diet.

I just found this article, that methodically explains and refutes the most recent studies that have been publicised as showing that soy intake is dangerous. It's reassuring for me, and I thought it would be of interest to other vegans:

Is It Safe to Eat Soy? By Virginia Messina, MPH, RD & Mark Messina, PhD

May all beings be at ease...

2 comments:

Tess said...

Ok, I knew that there's some risks eating too much soy, but I didn't realise dementia was one of them -_- dementia runs in the female line in my family and something I'm likely to have when older. So that's kinda worrying. I might look into reducing the amount too. I'm always having Alpro soya, but maybe I should look into other milks as well. I didn't realise there was oat milk? I really need to sort out my diet anyway, and eat more spinach and water cress

Morandia said...

I think it's like anything else - in moderation it's all good, but anything to excess is not good for you.

Personally I can't do the soy milk - ewww.... awful aftertaste to me, but I like rice milk, so I'd just do that (assuming I ever give up dairy)