Wednesday, 1 October 2008

Melody Beattie

'Besides the big hard calls we make, there's another kind, too. It's the little ones we face each day: do the right thing, or stir up the pot. Do the next thing, or sit and sulk. Relax and let go, or obsess. Pick up the phone, call someone, and be of service, or dwell on how miserable you feel. Feel, or go numb. Do somehting that feels gentle, nurturing and nice, or sit and torture ourselves.'

~Melody Beattie, Choices



I've been reading the book Choices by Melody Beattie. She is my favourite self-help writer. This is not her best book, but it has some really fine sentiments here and there. I picked it up the other day when I realised I was still behaving in a codependent way in some areas of my life.

It's a series of very short vignettes in which people are making choices in their lives. Some will resonate more than others, of course. After each little story, Melody adds thoughts from her own life. If you've read all her books up this one, you will be very familiar with these events, but if you haven't read her before, you might be a bit confused about what she's talking about.

Melody Beattie is a leader in the area of codependency. I highly recommend all her books, but particularly:

Codependent No More

Beyond Codependency

Playing It by Heart

1 comment:

Bethany said...

thanks for the review. I'll have to check her out. I really like books that have examples like that.

When I'm really annoyed w/ somebody I sort of stop myself and have a conversation in my head about what choices to make. much different than I was in my 20's.