Monday, 20 October 2008

B'nanna Puddin'



I'm from Arkansas, and a staple of my childhood was what we called 'nanner puddin'. (More sophisticated Southern women say something that comes out like "b'nay-uh-nuh puddn". That's banana pudding for you Yankee types!) To my shame, as a child I wouldn't eat it. I didn't like bananas. My mother used to make a chocolate version for me. It wasn't until I was a lot older that I learned to appreciate the joys of nanner puddin. It's a homely and humble thing, and that photo there conjures up every family get-together of my life!

This recipe is something that I made up. At least, it's a recipe I've never read. It is SO EASY that it's embarrassing. In fact, it's too easy for someone not to have come up with it already. It's also damn good. (It probably doesn't taste a whole lot like the milky stuff southern mamas make, but so what!)

2 boxes silken tofu
2-3 very ripe bananas, peeled, more bananas if you want
sugar, honey, maple syrup, agave nectar or whatever sweetener you fancy--to taste
enough vanilla extract to make it taste good to you
vanilla wafers for layering (there is no decent equivalent for vanilla wafers, but if you can't get them, you could try ladyfingers or plain digestives. Poor substitutes, though!)

In a bowl, mash the bananas and tofu, then use a hand blender to blend until creamy and smooth. Sweeten and add vanilla to taste.

Layer this mixture with the biscuits. Top with more biscuits. You can include sliced bananas if you like, but I prefer it smooth. Cover with cling film so that it touches the surface of the pudding. (Bananas tend to go brown). Refrigerate until the cookies have gone soft, 6-12 hours or overnight.

Nice!

3 comments:

Zoey said...

Hi Carla,

Your pudding looks delicious! I have never used tofu to make a pudding before but I might give it a try.

Jeni Treehugger said...

It looks freaking DELICIOUS!!
I wanna dive right into it and splash you all with nanner goodness...

Morandia said...

how yummy!!! Granted, I do the standard Southern version, but might have to try the tofu idea!