Thursday, 30 October 2008

Stress and chocolate

It's been a tough few days at work. It seems that public libraries are falling apart in this country, and things are no different in my authority. Staffing levels are now set so low that when people take their annual leave entitlement and then someone calls in sick, we don't enough staff to even cover the front line, let alone do the behind the scenes work. There are 7 libraries in my division. My library is the main one in the division, and one of the top 3 in the county for customer footfalls and issues, and yet I have to take front line staff out of this busy library to work branches that do very little business at all. There are not enough of us to go around, and it is just getting worse and worse. I don't even normally deal with timetables, but the woman who does is out sick and so my colleagues and I have been doing it for two weeks, on top of the front line work and other work we have to get done. Anyway, it's an impossible situation, staff morale is extremely low and I have been eating a lot of chocolate in the staff room. Not good.

BUT, I think one reason I've had trouble sticking to my Food Mover is that I set the calories too low. I thought 1600 was reasonable, but this calorie calculator suggests my daily caloric needs are actually 2115! So that's too big a calorie deficit. I have changed the Food Mover to the 1800 calorie card and we'll see if I survive better without resorting to noshing on stuff.

My driving lesson yesterday was not so good. I am still making lots of errors that will cause me to fail. I have a long way to go. For those who have never driven over here, you just don't know how difficult it is. This country was not intended for cars, and the skill required just to get from point A to point B, negotiating awkward traffic situations and dealing with ancient road systems, then finding a place to park up and getting your tiny car into an even tinier space--well, it's just amazing. There are no wide open spaces here, no simple 4-way stops. It's assertive and highly skilled. Driving is so much easier where I'm from, rural Arkansas, where it's actually the case that if you can operate the vehicle you have sufficient skill to be a licensed driver. Over here, operating the vehicle is just the beginning. I don't know if I will ever pass, but my driving instructor assures me I will. I think I am going to stop scheduling lessons at the end of a work day-I'm just too tired to think. I will have to do them in the morning before I go to work.

No comments: