Wednesday, 12 November 2008

Eat like an athlete?


Eat 6 meals a day for weight loss

I've read for years about eating '6 small meals a day,' and while I do eat 6 times a day, by no stretch of the imagination could they be construed as meals! I read the above article today and felt motivated, so on the way home from work I stopped in Wilkinson's and bought 12 small air-tight containers. I am going to try this 6 meal a day lark, and I'm going to do it for real.

Here's the thing. I've got this Food Mover that tells me how many portions of everything to eat. My trainer, Craig Gilkes, advised me that if I ate 1800 calories a day I would lose .5-1.0 pound every 2 weeks. So my thinking is, if I divide those food portions up into 6 meals a day, I will get to eat every 3 hours, I will get protein in reasonable doses at regular intervals, and hopefully I will be too busy eating my meals to nosh on rubbish.

The Food Mover advises at 1800 calories, in servings:

7 carbs
4 fruits
6 proteins
4 fats
6 vegetables
2 dairy
2 'extras' (30-calorie snacks)

So that would break down into something like:

1--Breakfast--2 carbs, 1 dairy, 1 protein, 1 fat, 1 fruit (Example: 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup soy yogurt, 1 Tbs almond butter and a banana)

2--Snack--1 carb, 1 protein, 1 fruit (Example: 3 brown rice cakes, a serving of pureed chickpeas and a pear)

3--Lunch--1 carb, 2 protein, 1 fat, 1 fruit, 3 veg (Example: 1 small potato, 2/3 cup of puy lentils, 1 tsp olive oil, 1.5 cups mixed vegetables)

4--Snack--1 carb, 1 fruit (Example: 2 Ryvitas and a small bunch of grapes)

5--Dinner--1 carb, 2 protein, 2 fats, 3 veg (Example: 1/2 cup brown rice, 1 cup tofu, 2 tsp peanut oil, 2 cups mixed vegetables)

6--Snack--1 carb (Example: a slice of toast??)

This looks good and it's way more real food than I'm eating at the moment. Looking at it like this, it's a lot more like how I ate when I was in my weight loss phase, only I tended to pack the food into lunch and dinner, with small carb only snacks. This way, all the meals are reasonable size, although I have packed more protein into the lunch and dinner than in the snacks.

Well, it's a start, and I'm excited! I will do cooking in advance and pack things in these little containers I bought and hope for the best.

No comments: