Friday, 6 February 2009

Wow, this thing works great!



Hubby's mum and dad kindly sent me some money for my birthday, so I decided to use it to order something I've been looking at for a while: the SoyQuick 930P Soy Milk Maker! I first read about this machine on the Fat Free Vegan blog. Susan V. made it seem so simple and attractive that I checked out the website. Everyone there and all over the web seemed to be raving about this machine. So when a little spare cash came my way--I ordered one!

It arrived Wednesday--and Thursday morning I made our first batch of soy milk. It is a dream to use. You really do just have to put your soaked soybeans and some water in the jug, put the lid on, plug it in and press the button marked 'soy'. It does everything else all by itself, and beeps to alert you when it's done. Then you pour the milk through the strainer and into the jug and there you go! The resulting steaming hot soy milk tasted so good. Next time I make it, I'm going to make some hot chocolate with the fresh soy milk.

I saved the okara (the leftover soy bean pulp) and for dinner that night I used it to make 'meatloaf'. It was yummy! And I already have the tofu kit Susan V describes at Fat Free Vegan. (I bought it thinking I could make tofu the old fashioned way--wrong! The day I tried to do that was a no good, very bad day, resulting in every pot,pan, strainer and my blender dirtied up, so much water used that I actually felt guilty, and the resulting mass of icky crumbly stuff flung tearfully into the bin! And we won't even talk about my one attempt to make homemade oat milk in a pan! I realised after those two attempts that if I wanted to do these things, I needed a machine. I just never thought I'd break down and buy one.)

I've only used the thing once, but I can see now it's going to be a big part of my daily life from now on. And it has a seven year warranty! Wow!

So THANK YOU to hubby's parents and thanks, SoyQuick!

5 comments:

Morandia said...

ok.. I have a stupid question. All I seem to find here are frozen edamame - either in the pod or shelled. Is that the type of thing you are using? or is it dried soy beans? I can't imagine doing the soy milk thing, but I love the idea of making my own tofu, so that might be an option. And using the pulp for meatloaf? That sounds great too!

so, fill me in - can I use the frozen stuff I can get at Kroger, or do I need to venture to West Plains, MO to see if the health food store can get me something different?

Carla said...

To make soy milk, you would use dried soybeans. They must be soaked for at least 8 hours or overnight before use.

I have to warn you, making homemade tofu on top of the stove is a nightmare. I tried it once. I wouldn't bother if I were you. I found out recently that to make soy milk turn out 'right', you have to cook and grind the soybeans at a constant 180 F, which is next to impossible. Then to make tofu, you have to add a coagulant at just the right temperature. As I said in my post, my attempt to do this resulted in a cyclone-struck kitchen, gallons and gallons of water used, the blender smelling like the motor was going to burn out on it, and the sad little square of unidentifiable, grainy substance that was supposed to be my hard-earned tofu--inedible and thrown in the trash.

You might try it once just to see what it's like, but don't be disappointed if it's a very bad experience!

Morandia said...

I was looking at the Soy Milk Maker you had posted. If I was going to try it, I'd get one of those. Plus I could make rice milk in it.... I like rice milk... I would never try it on a stovetop.

Morandia said...

another very odd question - soy milk can be used to make tofu. Can other milks (grain or maybe even dried bean milks) make something similar? I would love if rice milk could become a cheese like substance (yes, I consider tofu to be a cheese like substance from soybeans - after all, there are curds and whey).

Tara said...

Congrats on your SoyQuick! My husband got me one for Christmas and I love it! I wish you many happy days with yours!