Saturday, 7 March 2009

Every vegan knows


...a tofu chocolate pudding recipe, but that's no reason not to post yet another one! We think this one tastes really good, especially when rolled up in a veganized Staffordshire oatcake!

This is typical vegan behaviour--tofu is meant to be stir-fried or used in soups, right? And Staffordshire oatcakes traditionally are wrapped around bacon or sausage and egg with loads of grated cheese. But so what! Vegans make everything our own--can't be ruled! We don't care, whatever it is we're gonna change it to suit ourselves, so take this recipe and do the same with it.

Personally, I think a box of silken tofu blended with a banana can be the basis of many a yummy thing. Smoothies, puddings, even cake batters. Go nuts!


My Super Quick and Yummy Head-Whangingly Rich Chocolate Tofu Pudding Stuff

1 box of mori-nu silken tofu
1 ripe banana
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
75g dark chocolate (72%)
1-2 tsp cocoa powder
agave nectar to taste
maybe a pinch of salt

Using a stick blender, combine the tofu and banana until it is totally smooth. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in the microwave. Blend the chocolate into the tofu mixture. Take a bit of the tofu mixture into the little bowl you melted the chocolate in (because why mess up another bowl?) and stir in the cocoa a little at a time to make a paste. (This gets rid of the lumps). Add the vanilla. Add several squeezes of agave nectar. When that's all blended and smooth, add it to the tofu mixture and blend the whole thing some more. Taste it and adjust sweetness by adding more agave nectar until it's yummy. Spoon into 4 individual serving containers with lids (I like little plastic ones) and put it into the back of the fridge to thoroughly chill. It does set up very well.

You can substitute maple syrup. Almond extract might be nice instead of vanilla. Play around with it!


And now a better-late-than-never shout out for VEGANOMICON's WORLD FAMOUS CHICKPEA CUTLETS. I just made these for the very first time tonight. Having checked out Veganomicon several times from the library and reading recipes over and over (yet never making them), I finally decided to buy my own copy, and this is the first recipe I tried from the book. This recipe is absolutely all over the web, as predicted by Isa in the book. I nabbed the photo from a blog called Vegan Dad, because I can never be asked to take photos of my dinner--I'm too excited about eating it to remember to photograph it. Anyway, we had ours with smashed potatoes, steamed curly cabbage and gravy. The cutlets were very, very easy to make and we both inhaled them. Super cheap, too, much cheaper than the frozen vegan schnitzels we sometimes buy from Holland & Barrett. So click on the link above, copy the recipe out, check out Google Images for photos of people's chickpea cutlet attempts, and then try it out yourself. They really are yum!

8 comments:

Anna Down Under said...

Ooh these do look delicious! Did you use Vegan Dad's gray? Or can you share the recipe for yours?

Carla said...

I unashamedly say I used the not-very-good-for-you-at-all Bisto gravy granules. I was going to make the mushroom gravy recipe from Veganomicon, but I'd already made soy milk, tofu pudding and cutlets in one day, and didn't feel like messing with it. :)

Tess said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm if only I wasn't on a diet :(

I've yet to discover silken tofu

Anna Down Under said...

Oh mine didn't turn out quite as well as I'd hoped, what did I do wrong I wonder? The flavor was pretty good but the texture was kinda weird and one of the cutlets didn't get quite done in the middle - fortunately it was mine, so I just ate around the outside edges -- hubby said his was fine. He liked them well enough but said the taste reminded him of the stuffing in a chicken! LOL

Carla said...

What texture were you expecting? Best way to describe it is 'chewy.' Did you use vital wheat gluten? I cooked mine in the oven.

Maybe we're 'advanced vegans' and able to tolerate weird meat substitutes, who knows! :)

Anna Down Under said...

Not sure really -- didn't resemble the picture at all, they never really got golden brown though I left them in the oven the full 30 minutes, and as I said, one was still raw in the middle. Yes I used vital wheat gluten. And I do make the seitan sausages a lot, so I'm used to that texture I guess -- maybe I thought it would be closer to that? They didn't swell or thicken at all which I thought they might as they seemed thicker in the picture. As I said, the flavor was good though. Might experiment with them if I ever try them again.

Carla said...

Did you coat them in oil? I know you like fat-free recipes. If not, that's why they didn't colour.

Never mind!

Anna Down Under said...

Ah, you know me well. LOL No, I didn't do that -- it was hard enough to put the oil in the recipe. LOL I put them on parchment paper very lightly sprayed with non-stick spray. Perhaps I'll try again some day and just bake longer -- really if mine hadn't been underdone I would have enjoyed it much more, I did like the flavor.