Thursday, 19 March 2009

Haters and Hominy



I just read a novel in 2 sittings: Hater by David Moody. It's touted as a combination of '28 Days Later' and 'I Am Legend', and that is a pretty good description of it. I could not put it down! Guillermo Del Toro has picked up the movie rights to it, and a sequel (Dog Blood) is due out in 2010. In essence, ordinary man and council worker Danny McCoyne narrates as society falls apart--because some people out the clear blue suddenly start attacking and viciously killing whoever they happen to be with when the 'change' happens to them. They're not zombies or vampires, and there's no way to predict who this will happen to or when. I couldn't put the book down! I've found some reviews online which I agree with:



Matthew's review: Hater

SF Signal review: Hater

Blood of the Muse review: Hater





On to the hominy! The other day I placed an order for Mexican food at www.coolchile.co.uk, and included a bag of dried hominy. So today, I'm making pozole. As most of you know, pozole is traditionally full of pork and lard! But here's what I came up with:

Carla's vegan pozole

3 cups of cooked dried hominy (or equivalent in canned, but it doesn't have the same texture unless you can get a can of Juanita's hominy, which is so much better than Bush's best and those others--that's for my American readers!)--if you're cooking from dry, you'll cook it the day before because you have to boil that stuff for about 4 hours to get it tender enough to start this recipe!

1 can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained (you could also cook these from dry if you're like that)

1 can of tomatoes

1 cup TVP chunks

1 med. onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

2-3 Tbs unrefined rapeseed oil (or any vegetable oil)

2-4 tsp of dried crushed ancho chiles

1/4-1/2 tsp chipotle chile powder

2 tsp oregano or to taste

salt and pepper to taste

lime wedges for garnish

Saute the onion and garlic in the oil. Add hominy, beans and tomatoes plus 2-3 cans of water. Add the TVP chunks. Bring to a simmer. Add the chiles and continue cooking on very low simmer for several hours, until the liquid is reduced to make a thick stew. The hominy and beans should be soft, the TVP chunks will still have that curious meaty chew. Add oregano, salt and pepper. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over each portion.

This is one of those dishes that gets better with age, so savour the leftovers!

Serve with some green leafy vegetables and a salad if you feel bad about eating so much stodge. It is traditionally served with sliced radishes, thinly sliced cabbage, tortillas, and avocado. (See photo--which I nicked from the net!) I've never seen those round red radishes here in England, and they didn't have avocados in Co-op today...so lime it is!

Buen provecho!

1 comment:

Anna Down Under said...

Thanks for the book review -- not sure if it will appeal to me, but you've given me a great idea for my nephew. He loves to read and I think this one will very much appeal to him.