Wednesday, 25 March 2009

Okara adventures

I made tofu today and had all that leftover okara again. It's perfectly acceptable to throw it away, as I've only used about 15p worth of soybeans to make the tofu, but for some reason, I just want to figure out something to do with it. As I've made fresh tofu which must be eaten the same day (to be at its best), and for some reason thought it was a good idea to make onigiri (which is a Japanese rice ball--except mine aren't technically onigiri since I used a vinegar dressing in the rice, creating sushi rice. But since I didn't fill the rice balls with anything, I don't think they're sushi, either--*shrug*!), I thought I'd use the okara to try to make some sort of Asian-style something to serve with the meal. (We're also having stir-fried cabbage as a side dish.) So I mixed garlic, ginger, a bit of sesame oil, soy sauce and vital wheat gluten to the okara. I pinched the dough off in little wads thinking I'd make some sort of chicken-style chunks. I dropped them into boiling water and it became INSTANTLY apparent that the dough was too soft for boiling! I fished them out of the water and they were like sponges that were so completely soaked they are falling apart, if you can imagine such a thing. I figured what the heck, pressed them down with a slotted spoon while draining into the sink and glopped them out on a baking sheet and into the oven they went. They are now in the oven, becoming whatever it is they are going to become. If they're okay, I'll coat them in sweet and sour sauce or something. If they're not, I must remind myself that I still have under £1 invested in them and it's okay to fling them directly into the bin! So we shall see.

More later!

Well, it's only 5 minutes later, but I'm back. I decided it was too much trouble and flung them in the bin. I also steeled myself and threw the rest of the okara in the bin as well. In future, remind me to always just THROW away the okara! It's cheap and I don't need the hassle!

2 comments:

DQ's Windmill said...

I noticed you like jamiroquai, veganism, and Kundalini yoga, and had to say hello! Cheers from a fellow blogger in L.A.! ~Donna

Anna Down Under said...

Found a couple of recipes with okara on the fat free vegan blog that you might be interested in:

http://tinyurl.com/okaracrabcakes
http://tinyurl.com/okaracoconutcookies