Monday, 9 March 2009

Pineapple-Cashew-Quinoa Stir Fry

This is the third recipe I've made from my new copy of Veganomicon, and it was fantastic. Red and white quinoa are cooked with pineapple juice, then combined with a stirfry of red peppers, green peas (I used edamame), garlic, ginger, fresh pineapple, scallions, hot chiles and loads of fresh basil and mint. Before you eat, you squeeze a quarter of a fresh lime over it! It was so tasty, even though the recipe says it serves 4, hubby and I ate it all between the two of us. (Which is not unusal, actually. We almost always eat a 'serves 4' or 'serves 6' recipe between the two of us. Who are these people who eat such small portions, anyway?)

The recipe is on page 175 of Veganomicon, but I think you could probably just knock one together using the description and the picture.

I have to say, though, that while I usually don't follow recipes to the letter even the very first time I use them, so far I have done precisely what Isa says in the book and the results have been fine. That isn't always the case for me, I often find that recipes that sound odd to me turn out odd. Like the time I tried to make Isa's vegan matzoh ball soup from 'Vegan with a Vengeance.' I thought the cooking times sounded off, but followed the directions. They were awful and falling apart overcooked.

Actually, come to think of it, I didn't follow this one to the letter. Isa says to make the quinoa the day before and refrigerate overnight. I didn't see the point of that so just cooked and used it hot right then and there. Turned out fine. I can tell, though, that if you put this dish together and managed to have leftovers, it would taste even better the next day because there'd be time for all those glorious flavours to get to know one another.

Try it! (Google it--I'm sure someone somewhere has been naughty and posted the recipe...)

2 comments:

Morandia said...

while it looks very tasty, isn't it rather sweet with the pineapple juice and pineapple? Just wondering.....

Carla said...

It's half juice half water for cooking and only about a cup of pineapple chunks in the mix. So not so bad, but definitely sweet and hot.