Friday, 10 April 2009

He went at 3.15 this morning, 9.15 last night, Arkansas time.

I'm grateful this was fast. Just Tuesday he walked 4 miles with mom. He's climbed on the house, he's mowed the lawn, he's worked in his shop whistling and cheerful. He was tired and scared but he laughed and chatted with me when I called him last Friday after he was admitted to the hospital.

None of us could have imagined that a week later he would be gone. We thought he was there for an exam and to pick up a 90 day supply of chemo tablets, to return home and begin treatment. The complications became very quickly apparent, though, and if there was no hope for him, if the alternative was a long, painful and ultimately fruitless treatment, as so often happens with difficult cancer cases, then I believe it is good that he went fast.

It's just occurred to me. Now he knows what the rest of us have always wondered about.

2 comments:

Morandia said...

I'm so sorry for your loss...

Tess said...

I'm so sorry Carla *hugs*

Hope your visit to the USA goes ok

xxxxx