Saturday, 25 April 2009

Jet Lag and Turbo Jam

It's been a long couple of weeks.

We'd all planned a surprise family reunion beginning May 14th. Derek and I booked flights back in February for it, and of course we told Mom and Dad, but they didn't know that the entire rest of the family was planning to turn up and surprise them. My sister had booked a venue and caterers and everything. Then this unexpected thing happened, a family reunion of sorts took place in April, and now it's just me and Derek visiting May. We agree we're never going to tell Mom about this sad irony.

Anyway, my son turns 18 May 1st, and graduates May 16th. We are going to get him set up with a laptop for university, which he starts in August. The computer and broadband will be his combined birthday and graduation present. We will have to take care of that while we're there, as well some other stuff.

I got back on 22nd April and this trip has taken me longer than any other to recover from jet lag. I'm still not quite back to normal yet. I guess I'm getting old.

On another note, I've discovered some fabulous workouts. They've been out about 2 years, but I've only just got into them: TURBO JAM!



I don't know why these programs have to have such silly adverts. 'You can be lean for life and still enjoy your food!' 'Get rock hard abs!' Blah blah blah. Well, I don't have rock hard abs and never will, and I know for a fact just doing workouts such as these won't get them for you, nor will they give you free license to eat whatever you want--but they're still great workouts! They have to be the most fun workouts I've ever done, and I have done a lot of workouts.

Turbo Jam Infomercial

Now, the only way you could burn 1000 calories in one workout is if you weigh a LOT--I use a heart rate monitor and tend to burn about 400ish calories in a 45 minute Turbo Jam. Same with losing 10 lbs in 10 days. If you are overweight and eating crap, and then you start the Turbo Jam diet and start to do the workouts, yes you'll drop 10 lbs in 10 days. Most of it will be water...that's the thing that really irks me about the infomercial approach. These workouts are terrific, but they're not miraculous and the over-enthusiastic presentation and miracle claims could turn people off from something that could change their lives--home exercise using tried and true methods. The infomercial makes the product look gimmicky, but the fact of the matter is, she's doing good old cardio and weight training, and that's the only real way to lose weight and get fit.

The workouts really are fun, the moves really are easy, and I've been working out regularly using home DVDs for nearly 5 years, and I can say without reservation that these are the most fun I've had working out so far. They're just FUN! And they work you hard, but for some reason you don't realise it. Chalene is just not 'serious' about it. All her workouts use the same 11 moves based on kickboxing. She calls them the 'Elite 11' and she teaches them to you slowly in a session called 'Learn and Burn'. Then she uses them in different combinations and with simple variations in all her subsequent Turbo Jam workouts.

Anyway, if you have the chance to try Turbo Jam, take it! I think just about anybody would enjoy these workouts.

1 comment:

Anna Down Under said...

Welcome to Turbo Jam! As you know I've been a fan for some time! I do enjoy them, and in fact though I'm mostly walking now, it's been raining a lot lately so when I can't walk I pop in a Turbo Jam. I tend to do Cardio Party 1, and occasionally 2 or 3. I've been thinking I should start doing Turbo Sculpt again as I have not been doing any weight work for some time now. Maybe it's time to start.