Thursday, 15 October 2009

2 workouts today

I did Turbo Jam Live Booty Sculpt + Abs today, then when hubby got home, we did Chest and Back on Cathe's Slow & Heavy. Two workouts in one day! Yay!


Booty Sculpt is a good workout, my legs were screaming. You use light dumbbells and a resistance band in this workout, and the leg work is a lot like that seen in Turbo Jam Lower Body Jam, except the workout is more informal (more dancy stuff during the moves) and Chalene walks around a bit instead of doing all the moves with the exercisers. It finishes with some pretty tough ab work.



Slow & Heavy is a 3-day split. One day you do legs and shoulders (we did that on Tuesday night), one day you do chest, back and planks (that's what we did tonight) and one day you do biceps and triceps (we've got that planned for Saturday). You can do them 3 days in a row, or you can do cardio on days in between. I'm doing the cardio in between option.

I really like the Slow & Heavy series. You lift heavy weights and for each move you do 3 sets of 8 reps, 2 beats on the concentric contraction, 6 beats on the eccentric. (So, for example, on split-legged squats, you put a barbell on your shoulders and go down for two, then slowly come back up for 6. On a chest press, you go down for two, slowly push the weights back up for 6. Etc. In the picture on the cover, she is doing plie squats. You go down for 2, back up for 6. She's holding a 40lb dumbbell there. I used my 12kg kettlebell as that's the heaviest weight I own. That's roughly 27lbs. Believe me, even though I was pulling only half the weight she was, my legs were FEELIN it.)

Today's work was Chest and Back. You do chest presses (3 sets of 8 supine, 3 sets of 8 on the incline), pec flyes (3 sets supine, 3 sets incline) , push ups (2 sets of 8 using the down for 2 up for 6 beat), bent over rows (3 sets of 8), ribcage pullovers (3 sets of 8) and deadlifts (3 sets of 8). Then you get on the mat and do supermans (32 total) and a killer series of planks. It's not an easy workout. But it's one of those that when it's over, you're so glad you did it! I just wish I owned some heavier weights and a really good, cushiony pair of weight lifting gloves.

No comments: