Sunday, 11 October 2009

Celeriac Soup


This morning we had Isa's 'Fronch Toast', then after working out I had a pea protein and red berry smoothie, lunch was a veggie burger and a few homemade oven chips. So for dinner, I just wanted something kind of light. We bought a celeriac on the market yesterday, and so I made it into soup. This soup turned out to be so yummy! It is thick, and somehow creamy with a buttery mouthfeel. I have no idea how, as this is all I did:


Celeriac Soup

1 small yellow onion, peeled and minced
1 Tbs olive oil
1 finely minced peeled clove of garlic
approx 1/4 cup dry white wine
1 good size celeriac, peeled and cubed
1 medium red-skinned potato, peeled and cubed
2 bay leaves
8-10 grinds pink salt
pinch ground nutmeg

Heat olive oil in stock pot and saute onions. Let them sweat down but not colour much. There might be some light golden sediment--deglaze with the white wine. Add the finely minced garlic and cook a bit. Add the cubed celeriac, cover the pot, reduce heat and allow to cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the celeriac begins to soften. Add the potato, bay leaves, and enough water to cover all by 2 or 3 inches (or more). Cover and simmer gently until the potato and celeriac are very soft, about 30-40 minutes.

Remove bay leaves and puree with wand hand blender until creamy and smooth. Keep blending until silky smooth. It will happen. Add the salt and nutmeg and serve. The soup will be thick enough that you can dip into it and it will hold its shape on the bowl of the spoon. If you wanted yours thinner, you could add water, but most of the pics I found online show a thick soup, so I guess I got it right. It is really yummy!

After we ate it (as usual, I forgot to make a photo, because I forgot I was doing a vegan recipe to blog--it was just dinner after all), I looked online for celeriac soup recipes. They are all pretty similar. I think mine is the simplest, though. Most of the time, simple is best. I just wanted to keep the flavours light and simple so the delicate taste of the celeriac would shine through. It worked! And it's always so satisfying when I think I've made something up then I find out it's a classic recipe. Surely that means I can cook...Hubby had his with toasted bread drizzled in olive oil. I just had mine straight. Try it!

1 comment:

cookingveganwithsoul said...

wow! sounds like some really good soup! and ironically, i purchased celeriac today for the first time. bryant terry (vegan soul kitchen) uses it in a recipe that is supposed to be like remoulade. pairs it with something like 3 dishes in his book. so now i'm looking forward to sharing my results with you, lol. and if i have any celeriac left, i'll give your soup a try!

Faith