Thursday, 5 November 2009

Love at first buff


So we were channel hopping through infomercials on Sunday morning, as we often do on a Sunday. We love to sit and make fun of the advertisements for the strange fitness products out there. 'I can get my abs AND my cardio done in only 3 minutes a day!' a bizarrely-bosomed fitness model beams, swinging herself side to side on a gizmo that looks like the body of an old lawnmower with some bicycle handlebars attached to the top. We have spent many happy mornings sipping coffee and laughing at the over-the-top agony of 'old-fashioned, back-breaking crunches and boring hours spent in the gym.' Why are all the 'before you buy this product' segments in black and white featuring people who look like they're being force-fed that bitter stuff from the middle of a pecan?

Anyway, Sunday morning we caught Susan Lucci selling her 'Youthful Essence' microdermabrasion kit. Now I have seen her selling this thing for years and never gave it a second thought, other than to wonder why it costs so much and why you have to sign up to get her little pots of crystal creme every month. I have to admit, though, that for the last few years, scrubbing with a wash cloth just hasn't been effective in getting rid of flakiness of my skin. I can wash, put on moisturizer, and still, when I put on my foundation makeup, it gets caught in the little tiny dead skin cells and that makeup shows up the scaliness until I feel like I must look like a lizard person. I mean, it's really noticeable, at least to me. (I had to actually get really close to Derek and point to get him to see what I meant. So okay, most people aren't as close to me as I am to a mirror when I'm scrutinizing my skin.) Still, I've felt self-conscious about it for some time, to the point where I don't even bother wearing makeup most days because I feel my skin looks better without it. Blotchy is better than scaly.

Anyway, after watching her infomercial, I thought I'd look into the microdermabrasion world. It turns out there are lots of little gizmos just like Susan Lucci's available out there. I did a lot of online shopping and reading of online reviews, and settled on the Roc Renewex Microdermabrasion Expert Kit. I found it available at Amazon Marketplace for £15, ordered it Tuesday night, and it arrived today!

I've used this thing for the first time tonight. I cannot believe what a difference it has made to my skin in only one use. It feels like an absolute rose petal. The literature that accompanies the kit says visible reduction of fine lines, etc, in 4 weeks. I can't wait to see how my skin looks after 4 weeks of this, if tonight's any indication.

Here's all you do:

1. Wash your skin as normal, using your normal face wash. Pat dry.
2. Put a bit of the microcrystal cream on the dry sponge of the applicator. (It feels like the finest possible grit you can imagine. Tiny, tiny little beads of aluminum oxide, which allegedly is what dermatologists use for microdermabrasion.)
3. Turn it on and smooth the stuff on your dry face, applying no pressure, just moving it about a bit. (The applicator is like a vibrator with a soft sponge attachment. Who knew!) Don't stay in one spot too long. Do this for 2-3 minutes.
4. Rinse your face with warm water, pat dry and apply moisturizer.
5. Clean the sponge with soap and water and air dry.

This process is to be repeated 2-3 times per week if you have normal skin, 1-2 times per week if you have sensitive skin.

I came out of the bathroom, and said to Derek, 'What do you think?' And he said he could see a difference at once in my forehead. I had him feel my face and he said it was very, very smooth and soft and he could definitely feel a difference.

I can't wait to see what happens when I put on foundation tomorrow!

4 comments:

Morandia said...

wow. I'll have to check that out. I think it's an age thing that we begin looking at things like that now. I have - for lack of a better term - spider veins on my right cheek. No idea why. Don't have them really on the other cheek.

I would like to try something like you got though - for other issues!!! Thanks for posting

Tess said...

That sounds awesome! I get eczema and dermatitis so my skin's not amazing. Do you know if there are any vegan products available? I'm very picky. Though also poor lol

Carla said...

Well I did a google search and came up with this vegan option:

http://www.skinvac.com/

Tess said...

Aha! Awesome thankyou, will look in to it!