Friday, 27 November 2009

Sweet potato pie (vegan, of course)

2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potato
1 cup plain or vanilla flavoured rice milk
1/4 cup corn starch
3/4 cup dark brown sugar or 1/2 cup maple syrup
1 Tbs molasses
3 Tbs oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp each nutmeg, clove, ginger
1-1/2 tsp cinammon

Combine ingredients and pour into a prepared pie shell. Bake at 400 F until done. Allow pie to cool completely to set.

The pie is darker in colour than you might expect because of the molasses, but it has a delicious, holiday flavour and silky texture. Not wiggly, like you would get from eggs, but very unctuous, and quite filling. It is best served chilled, in my opinion.

I made this last night for the first time and we really liked it. I am taking leftovers to work to today because I'm sure no one has tasted sweet potato pie there! If they don't like it, I'll bring back the remnants. :)

4 comments:

Wintu's World said...

I've been looking for a good vegan sweet potato pie recipe. Sweet potato pie is a holiday tradition in Texas, but it's full of butter and milk. I can't wait to try this recipe!!

Carla said...

Thanks, Wintu's World. :) I keep trying to post to your Bankrupt Vegan blog, but it won't work. I can't get the screen to scroll up so I can put in the thingy you have to type before they'll let you post. It's frustrating!

So funny that we made mac and nooch on the same night! Ha ha!

Wintu's World said...

Gah! That is annoying that you weren't able to comment. I think I fixed it, though. Would you mind trying again, so I can see if it works now?

P.S. Now we're Mac N Nooch buddies!

Morandia said...

OMG this sounds wonderful!!!!!