Wednesday, 2 December 2009

Daddy cool



I wanted some comfort food last night and thought I'd try a vegan mac and cheese recipe, having read about one on Anna's blog. I had a look at Susan V's Mac and Cheese recipe on Fat Free Vegan, then compared it to the Mac Daddy recipe in Isa's Veganomicon. Susan's recipe calls for all sorts of stuff I don't have--garlic powder, onion powder, tahini (which I don't like), and it's supposed to taste like Kraft mac and cheese, which I never liked, so I decided I liked the sound of the Mac Daddy recipe better. When I went to make the recipe, of course I changed everything. I nearly always do that, if I'm not confident that what I'm reading is going to be yummy. I ended up making something all my own, based on Isa's recipe, and it was really good. Hubby and I ate it all in one meal. Here's my creation:

Pimpalicious Pasta

Cook half a package of wholewheat shells (I couldn't find wholewheat macaroni in the shops), drain and set aside (I like stodgy mac and cheese, so I cooked this just a little past al dente)

For the sauce
3 cloves garlic, crushed, cooked in 1 Tbs oil
several grinds each pink salt and black pepper
pinch dried thyme
2 cups water
1 Tbs Marigold vegan bouillon powder
1/4 cup chickpea flour
1/8 tsp turmeric (or to desired yellowness)
1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp French's yellow mustard
1/2 pkg Cauldon tofu

Whisk together all ingredients except tofu and cook in saucepan until thickened. Add tofu and puree with hand blender until smooth. Pour into a small casserole dish and stir in the shells. Make sure the pasta is swimming in sauce. Too much pasta and it will be dry. Bake until bubbly and browning on edges.

This came out tasting rich and more-ish. The shells were all full of the gooey sauce and the pasta was chewy on top from being baked.

Word of warning, it didn't taste a thing like cheese. We sure did like it, though. If it had tasted like cheese, I would have had to throw it out. (Last time I went crazy and actually bought some parmesan cheese to put in something, we ended up throwing it out because it had that horrible dairy whang to it. Never again!) We had this with some steamed greens, and it was yummy.

If you don't like nutritional yeast flakes, don't bother with this recipe. And if you think you're going to end up with something like Velveeta, don't bother, either. I mean, if you want cheese, just eat some cheese! If you want something gooey, satisfying and vegan, though, try this one. We loved it.

(By the way, as usual, the photo is nicked from googling and choosing a photo that looks the most like what I made. Because as usual, I forgot to take a picture!)

4 comments:

veganchick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
veganchick said...

Looks good, Carla! Thanks for sharing. I also like Macaroni and Four Cheeses from Skinny Bitch in the Kitch. My only issue is the reliance on cheese alternatives. Otherwise it's a great recipe.

Jeni Treehugger said...

That is one totally pimped Mac and Cheese! Can you believe I've never had M and C before? I suppose that the good side of that is that I don't have a pregan idea to compare a vegan version with so I really should stop dilly dallying and make this already!
Have you seen the recipe from Veg News

http://www.vegnews.com/web/articles/page.do?pageId=40&catId=10

Everyone raves about it.
Yours looks super scrummy anyhoo.
:)

Carla said...

Thanks for the link, Jeni! I may try that recipe one day, but it looks like a lot of work. As you may have noticed from the recipes I post, I go for the lazier route! Whatever has the fewest steps and ingredients is usually the recipe I choose! :)